The Llanfair Slate Caverns, located in Llanfair, just outside Harlech, North Wales, are a popular tourist destination. But did you know that they are also an essential part of a unique cheesemaking operation? Dragon is a well-known dairy brand in Wales, with all of the milk used in their delicious Dragon branded cheese coming from dedicated farms across Wales. Made to a bespoke recipe and maturing over several months, is the Welsh slate cavern cheddar. The traditional aging process takes place at Llanfair Slate Caverns in the original mining caverns, which have been reinvented into cheese caves.
As the cheese matures in the caverns the cool environment adds unique characteristics to the taste and texture of the cheese. So, if you're looking for a taste of Welsh history, be sure to pick some up
Dragon’s handcrafted Welsh Slate Cavern Aged Cheddar Cheese from Y Groser Harlech.
Here are some of the reasons why we think you will love it.
● It’s made with traditional, handcrafted methods using milk from Welsh-breed cows.
● It’s aged in the Llanfair Slate Caverns, which gives it a unique flavour and texture.
● It's also available with Penderyn Whisky.
● It’s stocked at Y Groser Harlech, so you shop local and pick it up easily, next time you’re in Harlech, pop in and say hello, you won’t be disappointed.
Here are some serving suggestions to best enjoy Dragon Slate Caverns Cheese:
● Serve it at room temperature with a glass of Welsh cider, or ale.
● Add it to our other Welsh cheeses to make a unique cheeseboard.
● Add it to your favourite soup or stew.
● Simply melt it on top of crusty bread for the best cheese on toast!
I hope this post has inspired you to try Dragon handcrafted Welsh Slate Cavern Aged Cheddar
Cheese. With its rich history, unique flavour, and variety of uses, it’s the perfect cheese to represent North Wales.
Tel: 01766 780494
Monday - Saturday 8 - 6pm
Sunday 8 - 4pm